2020 Favorites

Description: I’ve approached this from a slightly different point of view. since this was 2020 favorites, not 2020 best, I looked at them partly as the experience I had when photographing them.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No.

In chronological order:

#1. Western Meadowlark. Not a classical singing pose, but a unique experience. It was a very windy day at a N. Cal. wildlife refuge and a lot of meadowlarks were hanging out on a raised berm at car window level and weren’t inclined to leave.

2 Black Phoebe. Taken shortly after the above, but I like this for the composition and the background.

#3 Sharp-shinned Hawk. A generous juvenile that gave me lots of opportunities this spring. This expression combined with the rain appealed to me.

#4 Purple Finches. I had a lot of fun observing the interactions of birds on my drips this summer. This image seemed to sum up the relationships.

#5. Pacific Slope Flycatcher. Here mostly because it was a new species for me and for my pools. It’s also cute and bathed in exactly the same way as the Willow Flycatcher (bounce in and out in a 10th of a second).

#6 Pacific Jumping Mouse. An unexpected visitor at my pools, though I knew we had them around. I really liked the choice of location it picked to come in for a very quick drink.

#7 Sumatran Tiger (captive). In a break between Covid lockdowns, my wife and I took a trip to the Port Defiance Zoo. The habitat area for this tiger was separated from viewers only by a wide/deep moat. There was also a female in heat not too far off which kept this guy very active. It was a great break from our routines.

#8 Dark-eyed Junco. This one is all about the expression.

#9 American Bittern. Largely because it’s so rare to find them out in the open like this, but with such great habitat behind one.

#10 Northern Harrier and Sandhill Crane. Not a good photograph technically, but The interaction makes me like this image a lot. I have no clue what this Harrier thought she was doing.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

These are all beautiful photos Dennis! Glad the year is almost over. Hoping 2021 brings better health and less anger to the world!

That is a Fine years collection…Flycatcher and Phoebe standouts for me.

Dennis, this is a fine collection of critter shots showing a fascinating collection of behaviors. The Junco looks to be giving you “what for”!

Dennis,
All of these are wonderful images, but my favorites are #3 of the Sharp-shinned Hawk and #8 of the Dark-eyed Junco as the expressions of the two birds are priceless. Very nicely done!

All excellent photos, Dennis! I got a kick out of the expressions on the hawk and the junco but my favorite of the birds is the Purple Finches with one of them drinking from a water droplet. My favorite of the bunch though is the mouse! I rarely see photos of a mouse in a natural type of environment and you captured this one in just the right place.

Wonderful photos, Dennis, and sounds like great memories of fun times. My personal favorites are #4 the Purple Finches (mostly for the great action you’ve captured) and #8 the dark-eyed Junco - the expression is fabulous! Great photos and wonderful year.

A very fine collection Dennis. I like the way that you capture the mood of each of the creatures.

Love seeing your bird photos, Dennis. You have a great 2020 collection. The Bittern with its feather camouflage is a great image. And love to see the scolding Junco again. Flycatcher is a favorite . Good hunting in 2021!