Favorites from 2020

This one (above) deserves a title. I call it “Yo! BRO!!!”

I’m doing a gallery of 10 favorites from the year. No special order. Each one was unique so I’ll let them stand for themselves.

Specific Feedback Requested

Just tossed out for any reactions…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Only the third one.
All different

1 Like

Although all are excellent, my favorite is number 8 with 10 a close second. Very nice work. Thanks for posting them.

Beautiful collection!

Diane, this is a fine set of “bird” shots. The details and color blend in the last one stand out.

Excellent, Diane. My favorites are 6, 8 and 3 in that order. I’d be interested in what the originals looked like for number 3? A nice job on the replacement in any case. #3 reminds me of “My Tropical Air Castle” by Frank Chapman. He describes a tree with 5 species nesting in it (one of them a colonial nesting species with 40+ nests) and a tiny Black-chinned Hummingbird is definitely the ruler of the tree.

Just a beautiful collection, Diane. Can I pick all 10 as my favorites? I really am amazed at “Yo! BRO!!!” Looks like the tiny hummer is the same size as the hawk, yet the hawk doesn’t look out of focus for the distance he must be from the hummer. I can sure see why they may be your favorites. Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys! @Dennis_Plank, here are the two raw files. The hawk had such an irritated look, I just had to do something with it.

Thanks, Shirley! I thought it would be good to make the hawk look the way the hummer would see it… :grinning:

Thanks, @Diane_Miller. A very good job of merging them. You did a great job of the selection of the hummer.

Oh, okay, well that explains it. I was just amazed how you managed the DOF. Thank you for sharing how you did it. I just looked back, and sure enough, you said the third image is a composite! I’m a lazy reader, I think. Still a great composite image. That hawk does look irritated, so it really works.

Wonderful collection of bird photos (along with the great night sky) Diane. “Yo! Bro!” is definitely a fun photo and you’ve handled it very well. My favorite is the 10th image of the little yellow fellow. Very nicely seen and captured. Thanks for sharing your “favorites.”

Some excellent avian photos, Diane! My clear favorite is #8. The colors and details of the hummingbird are exceptional and both the composition and the pose are just right. #10 is a close second due to the beautiful pastel colors of the bird and the fine detail in the feathers. A great collection of favorites!

I, too, like #8. I think it’s because of the branch. I also like the picture of the comet. It’s a really fine collection.

An excellent set of bird images! Very sharp, and the birds are isolated from any disturbing background. Its hard to pick a favourite, but I go for #8.

Lovely Diane. I still think of your determination to get that Heron shot.

Great group of photos! As for #3, you might slightly blur the hummingbird to better integrate it into the scene, as if it’s a little this side of focus.

Thanks everyone! Its fun to distill a collection of yearly favorites.