3 of a Cub Kind #1

Three very blond brown bear cubs grazing on salt water grasses on the tide flats at Valdez, Alaska. I’m guessing they were 2 year olds. There was no sow to be seen anywhere; I’m not sure why. I was shooting with my 200-600 from my truck on the highway and was so close I had to zoom out to 266mm to get all 3 in the frame.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 266mm, ISO-800, f/6.3, 1/1000, hand held.

4 Likes

I love the sense of being there with them and experiencing this encounter or “meeting” they had. and sure the picture could be a little more focused or sharp but I enjoy being a part of this.

What a great capture, Gary. I wasn’t aware there is a blond brown bear?? Do they turn darker as they mature? Love the composition with two on one side, facing off the other. Nicely done.

Wonderful trio take on this group of cubs, Gary. I saw many single & double cubs with moms together in Alaska while traveling the state, but never a trio together. Truly a rare event and a very solid image for the challenge… :cowboy_hat_face:

Terrific story and a nice image of these three. Must be fun to drive down the road and see three Brown Bears grazing! I would think it would be unusual to see three cubs?

Hi, Gary. What a tender and fun capture you got there! From your photo, I get a sense of playfulness and curiosity those cubs have. You captured that well. You were at the right place and time. The setting also enhances the cubs with a nice color contrast between their blond brown fur and green grasses. I wouldn’t change a thing in the photo. Nicely done.

Wonderful experience. Have you thought about blurring the background just a lillttle. My eye goes back into the branches. It may just be me. Nice capture!

Gary, the details in their fur and in the grass are striking. I’d be tempted to desaturate and darken the fresh green tips of the tree at the top.

Linda; I’ve seen quite a variety of Brown Bear colors, everything from blond to reddish brown to very dark brown (almost black). These cubs will probably be a light brown when they’re older but probably not still blond. My favorite Brown Bear has the whole range of colors in one bear!

1 Like