A Bee Robbed

Another Robber’s Roost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These Robber flies were busy. One has successfully mugged a bee. Seems like a dangerous living, but apparently they are really good at it.

Specific Feedback

Not sure about the crop in the first image. Too much extra canvas?

Technical Details

1. Canon 5DMiii, f8, 1/320 sec, iso 640, 100-400/1.4TC at 560 mm
  2. f7.1, iso 320, 390 mm

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:
1 Like

Hi Ed,

You could tighten up the crop for the top version with the bee and that will improve the comp. I wish for more depth of field to get more of the prey in focus. The subject is sharp in both images and I like the BG in both images. Your choice of lens for these insects is ideal because you can’t sneak up to them and normally, you only get one or two shots before they take off. Well done…Jim

A tough question on the composition, Ed. The first one does have a lot of “empty” space above the titular subjects, but I like that space. If it weren’t for the bee and fly, I’d call the first one a fine abstract. With them, you could probably crop a bit off the top, but leaving it wouldn’t hurt my feelings a bit. Jim mentioned the slight softness of the bee, but that’s a tough one to get. I do think, with modern software, that you could use higher iso values, letting you stop down a bit more without sacrificing shutter speed. I was routinely using iso 2000-2500 on my Canon 7DII before I retired it and getting quite reasonable results-and that was before all the fancy AI noise reduction came along. Since the 5DIII is a slightly newer vintage and full-frame, it should work fine at those values.

Ed: Great captures both. I like the action on the first and the quality of the portrait of the second. The lighting and detail on the portrait is superb. Top notch shots. >=))>