A double twofer

This look at an orange mushroom in the green moss was taken a month ago when the orange/green color combo grabbed my eyes. I started out thinking that this had two items (mushroom and lichen) for this week’s challenge but then realized that the yellow “horns” are another mushroom, so I had both two mushrooms and two of the challenge’s targets… Some ID research suggests to me that the orange mushroom is Cantharellus cinnabarinus sometimes called the Red Chanterelle while the yellow mushroom is Ramaria formosa part of the coral mushroom family. An 11 shot stack for dof. (5D3, 180 mm macro, 1/6 s, f/10, iso 200, tripod & cable release)

2 Likes

Beautiful detail and an excellent composition, Mark. My only nit is the orange stems along the top that tend to draw my eye.

Hi Mike, I sometimes spot orange and red mushrooms in the woods and its always a treat to find them. The focus stacking certainly adds a lot of detail here and having the coral mushroom in there is a bonus; never saw that before. Exposure is fine and I like seeing all the forest litter that you included. The orange stems in the BG don’t bother me much, but that little piece of leaf (?) on the mushroom and the bigger one to the left are somewhat distracting.

Mark, I have never seen mushrooms like either of these, so I find this image very fascinating. The orange one almost looks like an orange bloom (in fact, just looking at the thumbnail that is what I thought it was). Great details.