A fish run

Last August I discovered a fish run in a local stream. This year the timing was similar but there weren’t nearly as many fish piled up below a small rapids (hundreds vs thousands). These are 2 - 4 inch long fish that I haven’t been able to identify. The first view has fish swimming through a fast moving section, blurring both the fish and the water. The second view of these fish in a slack water pool just upstream from the fast section. They cluster in this pool as they search for some moderately fast water to continue their journey upstream rather than having to jump a 6 inch falls through a narrow gap. (7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/250 s, f/11, iso 800, tripod)

Abstract view, fast water:

Clear(er) view, slow water:

1 Like

Mark: Both are very cool and interesting. I do like the abstract quality and color of the first. Is this in Montana? >=))>

Very cool. Their color is stunning - those little lines of bright yellow are wonderful in the 2nd frame.

Good entry. Second one for me, as I am with Bonnie on the yellow lines making a fine abstract look.

CRAZY, Mark. Both work well for WC theme and maybe the first more so. But the second gets the neater look appeal for me too… :+1:
As a side note: my days in Alaska during salmon runs you could literally have walked on the backs of the things as they swam upstream. It was a site not forgotten by me… :cowboy_hat_face:

Both these images are special for their different qualities. The abstractness of the first is great, then the second…Wow! The colours and shapes are very appealing.

Bill, this is in Maryland…a somewhat protected exurban watershed.

Mark, I’m going to chime in and say I like both photos but the second one really kept me intrigued. The colors and the “multitudes” of fish work great together. I keep going back to this photo to study it.

1 Like

Those fish look to be menhaden.

1 Like

Great job with the abstract nature of both images. Difficult to decide which I prefer.

I was going to say Bluefish but they have a longer body. I think Igor is correct. These are fun images from the perspective of an ex-fly fisherman.