A Forest in a Forest

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have always been fascinated with tree bark and what little forests that grow on it. This was taken in Arusha National Park in Tanzania.

Specific Feedback

I know this is not tack sharp, far from it. I sharpened it in post-processing, but I don’t know if it is still too soft.

Technical Details

This was taken with a Canon Powershot when I depended on the auto settings to do the job. I have sharpened it in Topaz sharpen. It was then edited using TK9 to manage the balance and contrast of the colors. Comments on composition and processing would be welcomed.

Barbara, you got a very nice mix of colors and textures here. I also think there good visual balance, inviting the viewer to wander through the frame. It looks good when viewed at smaller sizes (where the limited depth-of-field is disguised. The top corners are noticeably soft…probably camera/lens limitations and there a blurred area just to the right of top center that looks like you cloned out something. Since it’s impossible to create more sharpness in processing than exists in the original file, it’s best to think about how you would handle a shot like this such that the softness isn’t seen as a problem… You might also try cropping this to 8.5 x 11 (removing the top). I think that would retain the visual balance while removing the most obvious sharpness problems.

@Mark_Seaver thank you for taking the time to comment. You are correct in all your observations. This was taken when I knew very little about photography. I wish I could repeat the shot with my present camera and lenses.