An Arusha Maidan

An Arusha Madian + reworked

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Arusha National Park in Tanzania is a photographer’s delight because of its lush green foliage and the giraffes for which it is famous.

Specific Feedback

All feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

This was taken in 2008 with my Canon Powershot camera. It was essentially a point-and-shoot situation. This is a tightly cropped version of the picture I took. I used Topaz Gigapixel AI and then a Topaz Studio Lab impressionistic filter to render a more pleasing finish to the very small image. By the way, the dark areas in the composition are not black. In keeping with the challenge, they are a very dark green.

@Paul_Holdorf I darkened the fern in the LLC as you suggested. Thanks for the idea. I always welcome feedback.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

I love this type of image. I tried something similar in the Redwoods a month ago and still haven’t been able to get it right! I love the composition here. I wonder if the composition would benefit if that brighter bit on the lower left was removed? It sort of pulls my eye over there and away from the greater composition to its right. I like the darker background and various levels of luminance throughout.

Barbara, the variety of greens and the shapes of both the branches and the leaves are very attractive. Burning-in the area along the lower left helps emphasize the downward pointing triangle of leaves.

Thank you. I owe the suggestion to burn in that areaa to @Paul_Holdorf .