A King's Breakfast + Re-Edit

Closer Crop

Re-Edit

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While out on a early morning game drive in Jim Corbette NP, India we stopped to take a look at this common kingfisher. It was standing on a rock a little further away from the water and so I took a few photos and thought I was done as I didn’t want to hold up the group because we all wanted to see a tiger in the wild for the first time. All of a sudden the kingfisher flew up in the air a little and dove into the water and caught a fish right in front of us.

Technical Details

Nikon D810, ISO 5000, 400mm, f/6.3, SS 1/2500 sec

Glenn, you captured the morning light so beautifully in this image. I like the soft tones and blurred reflections a lot. The kingfisher’s presence in the photo is enhanced by its color contrast against the rocks. I suggest opening up the shadows a little more on the kingfisher alone. I think there is a lot of beauty in its feathers that is being hidden because of the bright surroundings. This is a beautiful photo with a strong composition. It was certainly worthwhile staying there to capture this moment.

Thank you for your quick response, @Egídio. I opened up the shadows on the kingfisher as you suggested. I tried adding the repost to the top but replaced the original by accident.

Glenn, thanks for such a quick response.

You can easily fix that by simply returning and re-adding the original image if you still have it. You can re-add the original after the edit. It’s also a good idea to add some clarifying words (original, re-edit, etc.) so that other users can compare the two images side by side. Let me know if that’s unclear or you need assistance.

Very nice, Glenn. As Egidio mentioned, the light is wonderful. I think you could bring the kingfisher up even a bit more without making it look unnatural. You could also consider cropping just a bit from the left and the bottom to decenter the kingfisher more, though I’m not sure about this suggestion as those rocks have some of the best light on them.

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis_Plank and @Egídio for your suggestions. Huge help for me

1 Like

Glenn, the edit made a world of difference. I think @Dennis_Plank’s suggestion was spot on. You did a fine job on the edits.

1 Like

Excellent work on the reedit, Glenn.

1 Like

A very pretty bird, and with a fish is a real bonus. I think you could crop in much closer to the bird and the lovely reflection. The repeating rocks are not contributing much as environment and are a lot of visual competition for the bird.

A beautiful bird in great light. My thoughts were similar to Diane’s. I think you could crop in and still maintain the sense of the bird’s environment.

Beautiful bird and capture Glenn. I love kingfishers. Great to get the bird with a fish and I like the wavy reflections. Tempting to suggest cropping in a good bit more as others have suggested but I’d be afraid about maintaining detail on the bird. Looks like it could stand a bit more though. A fine capture either way IMO.

Thank you @Diane_Miller, @Allen_Brooks, @Allen_Sparks for your comments. Is this crop close enough?

1 Like