Kingfisher Rising + reposts

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw a kingfisher make a dive this morning and come up empty.

Specific Feedback

Cropping? That’s all the room I have on the right without adding canvas.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, monopod
ISO 400, f6.3, 1/3200s

2 Likes

Wow, nice action shot, Allen. I have never seen a Kingfisher make a dive like that. Nice splashes too with wonderful details in the bird. As or cropping, I am not sure what you can do. On the first one, you might could crop some of the top off, (the grasses on the shore line) and that might make it feel like he has more room. Just a thought. Excellent shots.

I am SO jealous of your Kingfishers!!! Ho hum – just another routine amazing capture… :laughing:

The added canvas in the second needs a redo – the disturbed water is displaced higher – and some cloning patches for repeats. CAF usually does better than that, but this one looks like it should be doable. Sometimes some softening with cloning before adding canvas will help, so there isn’t so much detail for it to try to replicate.

@Shirley_Freeman @Diane_Miller
Thanks for the comments!
Shirley, thanks for the cropping tip. I’ll look at that.
Diane, thanks for catching the cloning goof. I did add a slight bit of canvas when I straightened the image. I’ll give it a second look.

1 Like

@Shirley_Freeman @Diane_Miller
Here are a couple of reposts taking your comments into account.

1 Like

These are gorgeous, Allen. I really like the reposts with added canvas on the right-I think it makes them a lot more dynamic. I might even be tempted to add more on the second image.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank , another rework of second image with more canvas on right.

For my taste this image is as good as they get, Allen.

1 Like

Outstanding detail, especially in a flight shot. I like the added canvas on the right in the second shot.

1 Like

excellent series. These guys are tough to find as close as you did. The action is a lot of fun.

1 Like