A Morning Serene

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was indeed a serene morning.

Specific Feedback

The fog has no detail, is that ok? Does fog usually have detail? And try as I may, I think I haven’t been able to get the Bird in the Tree (right side) to stand out. Any thoughts?

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
ISO 6400 handheld f8 1/2000 265mm
I think I was on my settings for birds

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

The fog looks too light - blown out? While the fog itself usually has little detail it’s transparent revealing and hiding what’s behind it at the same time. I suspect it’s partly a result of your attempts to get the bird to stand out a little as the background of the picture seems too light to me as well - the light green tree in the middle above the fog on the lake is too bright to my eye. It is a challenging image - there’s a LOT of dynamic range from the dark shadows of the closer trees on the right to the brightness of the white fog. Would blending exposures work? It’s a lovely scene and I’m impressed by the sharpness and texture in the water.

1 Like

What @jim1 said. Way too bright. You might be able to go back to the raw file and pull down the whites and boost other tones as needed. There are a lot of fog scenes here for comparison. You might want to insure that your monitor is displaying tonalities correctly. The histogram is a good guide. This one shows whites pushed way to the right. And it looks like you left it in Adobe RGB. Best to convert to sRGB and tag the profile.

1 Like