A New Mist

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I liked the overall composition and in-camera exposure I achieved. I exposed for highlights, as the sun was rising over the gorge ridge line, as seen in the upper right corner of the composition. That being said, for me it was a bit of a challenge to strike a nice balance between contrast/highlights and the softness of this misty scene.

Creative direction

The dampened nature of a forest cloaked in this type of dynamic, short-lived fog condition. The silence. The unique lighting that these conditions offer.

Specific Feedback

Composition. Although I had few options in terms of moving (I was literally on the edge of a cliff outcrop), any feedback on composition is always appreciated.
Aesthetic. For those that have experienced these conditions, do you feel it?

Technical Details

Nikon Z9, Tamron 35mm 1.4 @ f16, 1/160, ISO 200 hand held.
Post in LR & PS

Description

I arrived in The New (New River Gorge, W Va) a week ago and the forecast was a bit on the sub optimal side. Rain and cooler temps were locked in for the first half of the week (there was actually a record high elevations snow event). I made the best of it, with the hopes that these unseasonal conditions would result in some legendary gorge fog as this system transitioned.
As we all know, landscape photography requires planning and most of all, patience (and luck). My last day there, all research suggested that if I had any shot at what I envisioned as the classic “New River Gorge fog” event, this would be it. So I set my alarm appropriately and hiked in accompanied by moonlight and anticipation.
In a nutshell, the magic occurred once the sun crested the ridge. The fog moved and churned constantly. In some cases, the subject was almost clear of any fog and seconds later enveloped. Light from the sunrise did just about everything and anything light can do in conditions such as this.
I’ll definitely return!

1 Like

Hi Bob,
what a beautiful scene. There are so many nice elements to explore in your image: different colored leaves, beautiful textures of the rock formation, and the dead tree that stands out.
And of course, there is the fog and the sunlight. These two are usually a very good combination. I am happy for you that you finally found these conditions.

Yes, I love that misty mood. It brings back memories of hiking through the rainforest, with warm humid air.

There are two things that I find a little distracting:

1. There is beautiful sunlit foliage at the top of the image. My eye keeps getting pulled to this edge. I would try to darken that area slightly.
  2. The dark tones in the ULC and at the bottom are quite saturated. I would desaturate the cyans and/or the green tones here. This saturation also draws my eye away from the beautiful war light in the center.

Again, a fantastic shot with a beautiful composition. It makes you want to stand there now and breathe the warm moist air.

1 Like

Thank you Jens!

Hi Bob!

I like the mystic feel this conveys!
I’ve been to various portions of the New River Gorge including the New River Gorge Bridge on Hwy 19.
They (not me) used to bungee jump off that bridge but I’m not sure they still do.
I’ve done some hiking in that area and managed to get a few snapshots but nothing worthy of posting anywhere, just shots for reminders later in life… wait a minute…it “IS” later in life… “Already!” :roll_eyes: Where did time go?

Anyway, this really nice and moody but I wonder if you wanted to reduce the presence of the fog, it seems that maybe there is bit of contrast in it which lessens the effects of fog.

Of course that may be the effect you’re after and that’s great if that’s the case!
Contrast and colors are pretty subjective as long as they don’t get too far off causing a distraction.
They aren’t distracting for me, I just wonder if you might want to boost the fog some by reducing the contrast and maybe even lower the haze slider. Just an idea for improvement.

It looks pretty impressive as is, including the fog and the color of the fog, it is early morning and I remember those early morning fog scenes at the gorge. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your insights! And you hit upon my little struggle here. Just how much diffuse light do I want? To make it more difficult, I had an extremely variable set of conditions. I was in that perfect state of foggy transition. This same scene was crystal clear within about 30-40 minutes of this frame. A wonderful problem to have, I know.
In terms of contrast, I used that bare, black tree as my test; if I could see her, I composed and shot.
Thanks again!

Bob,

If I didn’t have a chance yet… I’ll welcome you to NPN! Great to have you here and a wonderful first post!

I don’t know if this impression works or not, but for some reason, “Gorillas in the Mist” came to my mind - if anything just because of the mist… I don’t think there are any gorillas in W VA… lol

But to answer your question, yes, I do feel it and get the sense - or certainly recent memories of photographing in these conditions - just a week ago in fact.

I think you’ve struck a good balance between the contrast, highlights and retaining that misty atmosphere. I like that you gaged your shutter release on the presence/visibility of the tree. Again, you’ve found a great balance here. As as Merv eludes, it’s easy to take this and experiment with more contrast, less contrast (dehaze), etc. etc., but this works beautifully as presented.

The only thought I have would be a crop. To start, I’m not a fan of the tall, digital format, so that’s my starting bias, but I’m wondering if you need the green tree and bush at the bottom? They are less obscured by the mist and by cropping up (which would be a significant crop) I think the misty atmosphere is emphasized even more. But as with all suggestions, it’s subjective and may not be your vision.

Either way, a wonderful moment in time. Well done.

Looking forward to more and your participation!

Lon

1 Like

Thank you Lon! I did find that these compositions were not so obvious to crop in post, so I’ll definitely review your suggestion!