A piece in time

Nine shots multiple exposure

Specific Feedback Requested

What do you feel about multiple exposure to produce abstract images. There is a wave of criticism about this kind of abstract as this does not maintain the character of the landscape. Can we consider this type of images as photography art?

Technical Details

Nine shots multiple exposure

2 Likes

My opinion is that you are really on to something.
Absolutely an example of fine art photography; the idea is to communicate or stimulate emotion. Unfettering the light, shapes, colors, etc. from recognizable subjects is a way to go straight for the viewers’ emotions. As it turns out, most viewers will not stick with an abstract long enough to develop an emotional response unless the photo has an initial hook of some sort. Your image has that drawback, I think.
As to maintaining the character of the landscape, don’t worry about it.

1 Like

Ricardo, I love this. It is definitely an abstract, but also a dreamy look into a forested space. Nine shots, wow. This is truly an artistic image.

No criticism from me. I really like the soft abstract effect you’ve produced. Don’t listen to the “wave of criticism.” Of course it’s art. Do you like this image?

Thank you all for your comments. It is nice to read your opinion on this. @Chris_Baird, regarding your point, the “wave of criticism” is just a point for reflection and discussion, as, indeed, I feel free to do what I want and that doesn’t change the way I see this technique. But I love to discuss this kind of matters (I intend to run very soon a podcast on Photography in Portugal (in Portuguese, sorry)) just to raise a lot of discussions like this. For instance, one of the wonderful discussions is that of if reproducing the reality in Photography is mandatory. My podcast will be done through interviews with Portuguese great photographers, live streamed on Youtube with the intervention of the public through moderated questions posted during the session and the the audio will be converted to a podcast series. The discussion of the legitimacy of techniques like this, several times rejected in great photography contests, competitions and awards, is just for reflection.

Thank you for your opinion.

Hi Ricardo, thanks for sharing your wonderful image. I think you’ve done a good job with this abstract photo. It immediately had me exploring the scene closer and left me with impressions of the forest. It’s a hard feeling describe but there definitely an emotion I felt.

Photography techniques such as ICM and multi exposure can be useful to produce abstract and engaging images. We all respond to the landscape in different ways. Some of us are more literal and some more conceptual. The techniques themselves do not make us creative individuals. It is when we apply the technique with intent and vision to communicate a story or mood about a place. And yes I consider these types of images as art and really any image that comes through self discovery and expression.

1 Like

Ricardo,

I’m loving this as well as an abstract and yes, I feel the same with the multiple exposure as I do with the ICM. In fact, a finely executed ICM could produce something very similar to this result. The results are indeed abstract.

You addressed your “wave of criticism” already - so thanks for expounding on that. I think a place for a separate discussion, but indeed there are different perspectives and responses to this genre of photography, including ICM’s. For me, I would agree there is little sense of credit of emotional aspect in the creation of these abstracts - as they are mostly random in nature. However, the results I find to be fascinating in so many ways - ways that could never be produced otherwise and in the end, just plain FUN!

Regarding maintaining the character of the landscape? Not relevant - this is abstact, and by definition, the original landscape is no longer maintained! While it’s true this type of imagery may not evoke any deep emotion or keep the viewer engaged, I do believe that this could absolutely hang in a gallery, be hung on the walls of a hospital, medical facility to create a calming visual environment. Love this stuff.

Getting back to feedback on this image, my only nit/suggestion would be to slightly burn down the brighter leaves in the UR quadrant. Just enough to bring the luminosity to closer levels of the rest of the scene. Other than that, very nicely created.

Lon