a quiet discussion

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

When hunting season opens ducks and geese head for safe areas. One is a small pond at a local cemetery. It gets crowded and noisy on the water so these two decided to land on the lawn for some quiet time.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

canon 7DmkII; 100/400 @, I think, 400); 1/320th; 800 ISO; cropped a little top and bottom.

1 Like

Hi Jim, nice interaction you captured here and I like your title as well. Both birds seem sharp and well exposed. I like all the green around the birds which helps give a sense of aloneness to this pair.

Great Mallard image, Jim. I really like the soft green around the ducks. I might be tempted to crop about half of the foreground between the bottom frame and the ducks. I think it would help to ground them in the scene without taking away from that soft green. Just a thought.

Cheers,
David

Sweet moment, Jim. Nicely seen and captured.

I like this, Jim. A very calm and tender scene. You might consider cropping this to put the birds a bit higher in the frame. The horizontal centering fits the interaction nicely, but a little vertical off centering might make it feel more dynamic. Putting them higher in the frame also provides the illusion that you had a lower point of view (See below):

@Dennis_Plank @David_Bostock @Allen_Sparks @linda_mellor Thank you for your comments. @David_Bostock and @Dennis_Plank Your suggestions are very interesting and helpful. Top crop does appear to lower point of view. Cropping 1/2 foreground does ground the ducks but removes results of @Dennis_Plank suggestion. I’ll probably leave as is.

1 Like