A River Runs Through It (+rework)

This is the original submission.

And here is an edit with increased texture and some positive dehaze to bring out more contrast.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was part of a challenge I joined to sit in one specific location for an hour and see how many different compositions I could come up with in that time period. I could use different lenses and turn around, but I could not move. I was surprised at how much creativity kicked in after the first 30 minutes. During that process, I recalled what Alfredo Mora had once suggested I try a horizontal ICM. It was the perfect storm. What you’re seeing here is a river bed we added in our backyard when we bought this house. There was a lot of erosion from rain runoff going through our backyard. Instead of fighting nature, we joined hands with nature. We added a rock bed where the erosion was taking place. Well, that was 26 years ago. Erosion is gone and the backyard has even more charm. Because fall comes late in Texas, part of the colors you see are leaves stuck in between the rocks.

Specific Feedback

Does this really work as ICM? I struggled with posting this image because I found it soft – maybe even too soft. I like the implied textures and undulations throughout the frame, but in an enlarged format, that gets lost or diluted. Some of you will notice that when you enlarge the photo here. I might revisit this idea again later this year when fall arrives in Texas.

Technical Details

The image was edited in LR and PS. Some color toning was used. I also dodged and burned some areas in order to obtain a more pronounced terrain feature. The lighter section running diagonally in the frame was sunlight filtering through trees nearby.

I think this works quite well, Egidio. Several years ago after some torrential rains I went to one of the local rivers and the silt laden water had just about this look with a long exposure. If you wanted it a little less soft, you might try a shorter exposure and faster camera movement. It makes me wonder if someone hasn’t come up with a motorized head so you can control the speed more precisely.

1 Like

Dennis, thanks for the feedback. It is very much appreciated. You are right on the issue with my very slow shutter speed of 1/10 sec. I normally tend to use 1/20 or 1/30 for ICM. Since this is in my own backyard (literally), I can always revisit the spot and attempt new takes.

That is a good idea someone could put into motion. I have tried some horizontal ICMs by using a tripod. I loosen the tripod head and can easily use a finger to push the camera in a horizontal motion. I like those results for a more guided ICM.

Thanks again.

Egidio, that 1 hour challenge is a great idea! I need to try that next time I’m out in nature. I’m glad you shared this ICM image. Yes it works as ICM. It’s strength is the weaving patterns and the lighter tones which engage the imagination. It would be a fun experiment to see what different color toning would look like.

You mentioned this being soft. One suggestion to help counteract that is to add some positive dehaze and texture in LR. This will help boost constrast and help separate out the tones.

Alfredo, thank you for this valuable feedback.

Funny you should mention that. I have played with this image for months now, and color toning has produced several different views. So far, this combination I used here has been my favorite.

As for the use of dehaze and texture, I’ll experiment with those to see if the results are satisfactory.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Alfredo, I experimented with different texture/dehaze settings and found one combination I liked. I uploaded it as a rework. I like the stronger contrast and tonal separation. I’m sure it’s all a matter of taste.

Your rework did a nice job of adding more structure to the image, Egidio.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @Dennis_Plank . I appreciate you taking the time to write back.

Your rework is brilliant. The added texture really brings out the painterly feeling that I didn’t quite get with the original post. The texture gives this image a lot more depth as well. The colors work well for me and I love the 1 hour Challenge. I need to try that one.

1 Like

David, I so very much appreciate your taking the time to write back with your critique I’m glad the texture and colors have enhanced the image’s overall appeal. Thank you for the compliment.