A Rose

I shot this on a D850, 105 mm at f 3.0, 1/400 second, ISO 200, handheld. Shortly thereafter , I shot a OOF texture shot of the same garden from approximately the same place. I used the texture with a mask and blended into the original shot to give it more depth.

Best to all
Kathy

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Lovely. Interesting technique. I’ll have to try it out.

1 Like

You did a beautiful job with this, excellent use of the technique!

1 Like

Kathy: The work you do with these textured and blended BGs is just wonderful. Beautiful flower superbly captured and presented. :+1: :+1: >=))>

2 Likes

Kathy: I like the soft pastel tones in the rose and the oof blended background. I’m surprised at the amount of dof you obtained in the flower shooting at f/3. My only minor suggestion would be to darken the b/g just a bit. Excellent otherwise. Richard

Richard
Thank you. The f stop sharpness surprised me as well . I went back and checked several times and it is definitely f3. If you look closely, you see that only a small cross section of the petals is sharply in focus, the rest are OOF but there is enough detail to make it work. I played with all sorts of f stops on this outing . The f3 did not work in all circumstances with different flowers and set ups.

Fascinating technique. Beautiful result. Is this a Peace Rose.? … Rose of the year 1946, with a dramatic history.
For me, the oof top petal edges detract.

The BG is excellent for this rose. Outstanding image…Jim

1 Like

Lovely image again! Your technique for creating background works very well creating a very pleasing background. Dof looks pretty good for such a large aperture.

1 Like

Excellent result! No suggestions for improvement.

Congrats on the EP. My assessment was correct. Awrsome…Jim

@ravi @Jim_Zablotny @Richard_Sandor @Dick_Knudson @Michael_Lowe @Bill_Fach @Patricia_Brundage @kathleenclemons

Thank you all for the comments. Photoshop was my mortal enemy for many years as I stayed in LR. Very happy I can do something in it now and I appreciate the positive feedback immensely!

Best to all
Kathy

1 Like