A Scotish Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The workshop plan was to shoot a sunset in Glencoe, Scotland. Plan B was to dodge the raindrops and find a spot along the stream behind the hotel.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts on composition and general esthetic appeal would be appreciated.

Technical Details

ISO 180, f/11, 1/2 sec. handheld
processed in Photoshop

1 Like

What a fantastic location. Looks like the rain helped quite a bit. Compositionally I wish you’d gotten into the stream or at least put the tripod there if it was safe to do so which it looks like it was. For me this is more about the potential of the location rather than exploiting it. Like a sketch. The placement of the trees with the lighter clouds is a good one and they stand out well between the mountains. Do you have any that got really low and close in the water?

The colors are rich as they would be in rain, but I wonder if the clarity and overall sharpness is a bit overdone. Our eyes see the greatest amount of detail and contrast up close, but a camera allows us to continue that to the far distance and it can look forced and unnatural.

Looks a bit bright for the conditions in my opinion. Turning my laptop screen brightness way down brings the mood back and seems more fitting. An intriguing place that I would love to visit.

I sure would like to have been able to change my viewpoint. My footing was very uncertain. The trail was very narrow and slippery. It would have made for a more impactful view, to be sure.

You spotted my weakness in post-processing. I do go for clarity. Thank you for noting that. As to the more moody look, I will reprocess this view with the two suggestions in mind. Thanks.

No problem, Barbara, that’s what we’re here for!

If you do make changes and have a second edit, you can add that to your original post by clicking the pencil (edit) icon at the bottom of your post. This allows us to compare both photos in the viewer one after the other. You can also edit the title with something like + 1 Rework or similar to alert the group that you have done it.

Thank you Kristen, I am learning how this all works.