A Spot of Sun After Rain

This was taken at The Huntington Library and Gardens in Pasadena, CA. A lucky moment to catch the sun on this Camillia after the rain.

What technical feedback would you like if any? I am concerned about the background and composition.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All comments are appreciated!

Pertinent technical details or techniques: This was taken with Olympus OMD MarkII camera, handheld, 12-100 lens; ISO 320, 41mm, f/7, 1/125

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Ann Louise: I love lighting like this and you handled it well. My suggestion regarding the BG would be to crop from the right to eliminate the dull red in the URC and then probably apply a vignette to darken the corners even more and focus attention on the lit portion of the flower. Well seen and captured. >=))>

Thanks, Bill for your suggestion and comments. So helpful to have you take a look! I will crop and add vignette.

The busy background takes away from the beauty of the flower and the water droplets. Very nice lighting on the flower.

Thanks, Patricia, for your comments! I will try to work with the background and crop more.
Ann Louise

This is my revision cropped and darkened background. Used a curves adjustment layer in Ps to fix background. I do like this better!

I too like this much, much better. Nice rework!

Ann
I love the reworked image. It makes the flower stand out and glow. Very nice capture with the light on it.

Thanks Patricia and Kathy. I took this 18 months ago and I am glad I could re-edit now with new processing skills.
Ann Louise