A spring freshet

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is the time of year when the early beginnings of spring freshets mark the snow in the folds of the hillsides. As the snow melts and fills the vernal ponds to overflowing, the water finds a way down the hill to the larger streams and rivers below. The mad rush down changes to a trickle on cold nights and again to a torrent when the sun shines and within a few weeks, the freshet is gone, leaving spring in the wake. I treasure being able to be in these temporal spots, often photographing newly formed ice formations, spring ephemerals, or waking animals.

Specific Feedback

any and all (recognizing this was made over a decade ago with a point and shoot camera!)

Technical Details

Canon PowerShot 100, 1/60, f/2.0, ISO400 with minor adjustments to tone curves in LR

Beautiful shot, John. I really like the composition with the freshet trailing off down the hillside, and I love the contrast of the green moss and leaves in the trees with the brown leaves on the ground. I do find the bright sky coming through the tops of the trees to be a little distracting. I wonder if you could tone down the highlights there or perhaps even experiment with cropping a bit off the top of the image. I definitely don’t think it’s necessary, though. It’s a wonderful shot as is.

Thank you, @John_Kilgour , on both counts. I decided to leave the canopy brighter and to not crop the image mainly because that felt much more like the way it was, but, as we both know, sometimes that “honesty” doesn’t make the best print. I know it would be improved just to tone down the canopy a bit.

That makes complete sense to me, John. It’s a beautiful scene, and I definitely understand wanting to present it as honestly as possible.