A tall structure and a long shadow

Flying over the California/Nevada border can provide a view of the Ivanpah Solar Power Facility. While not exactly “nature” it is a facility that stands out clearly due to the concentric rings of mirrors that focus on the tower to make high pressure steam that then generates electrical power. I’ve not seen it from the ground but this aerial view from a commercial flight is pretty amazing, at least for human-activity on such a large scale.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Pentax K-7, 1/1000, f/11, 210mm, ISO400, Cropping and misc. minor adjustments in LR

stilllearningtosee
1 Like

It’s like a giant sundial! The site looks enormous. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this before so thanks for sharing.

I agree that there’s not much nature here. There’s also significant motion blur.

Yes, I agree, not much nature. I think the blur on the left was the airplane window. The other interesting thing was the distortion caused by the array itself, basically an optical effect I think, similar to looking through a double window screen.

An amazing structure. I once saw a thermal solar plant in Spain, with arrays of parabolic mirrors, but this one is a bit larger.
The facility is not “nature”, but viewing your image I don’t think much “nature” was sacrified here for building the plant neither. Interesting image.

And this is just one of three in that location (Google it!). Construction did require “relocation” of a number of desert tortoises; I have not yet read anything about how they faired.