A wee tree to be

If it survives being next to my driveway that is. Not sure what kind of tree it could become, but I suspect a fir of some type. Spruce trees have knobby stems even at this stage and I believe fir needles are chisel shaped at the tips like these. We have balsam fir mostly. But who knows, this wee tree is barely 1 inch high. I found it yesterday after it rained, but was still misting. Thank goodness for weather sealing and Gore-Tex.

Specific Feedback Requested

The sporophyte looks like it’s photobombing! Does it distract or is it just cute? Also the purple in the background leaves - it’s really in the RAW file and present unless I really took the white balance out of whack. Should I paint color over it or is it ok?

Technical Details

Camera on beanbag on the ground.
30 image stack out of 63 taken in three bracketing sessions using the 0/-/+ method and +4 steps. Picked the shots that included every tiny millimeter.

Lr for initial tone and white balance management, lens correction, a crop, texture, clarity and sharpening. Then synched the settings across the shots and exported to Zerene. This is a PMax stack with a lot of retouching to correct haloing around the needles and the graininess of the background. Then Photoshop for some distraction removal and some clone stamping because I missed the edge of a rock.

Phew! Three software packages for a tiny seedling.

Kris, I love the title you gave this image. It is amazing that what could be a huge tree one day starts so small and vulnerable, yet many make it to maturity. You certainly had some patience to shoot 30 images to stack, but it sure looks nice.

Hi Kris, great job on the focus stack. Nicely done. Great processing all around, and I like the composition too.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @David_Bostock - it’s so nice to be out with the tiny things again. Winter is a bit tougher although I did get a few mushroom shots that I liked when there was snow on the ground.

1 Like

The little tree is so cute, and an excellent subject for a stack. For me, though the reds in the BG overpower it. I just did a Hue-Sat and pulled the reds all the way down, and for me it feels more natural. I’d go even farther in the UR quadrant, pulling down yellows without getting into the tree.

1 Like

I agree with @Diane_Miller about the BG - even with her changes it’s still very contrasty. Maybe a case could have been made for placing a vertical backdrop (piece of material?) to make it less distracting. That said, a great job with the stacking - and I’m sure you wouldn’t want to go through that again for a different BG!

An interesting take on it @Diane_Miller and I appreciate the time. Maybe too desaturated since the leaves were soaking wet and it was still misting heavily. I can try another view of this seedling or another and try a different background. As they are so tiny and low to the ground it’s really difficult finding any space around them. Using a fake backdrop is a thought @Mike_Friel, but I don’t know what I’d use. I have an inflatable seat cushion that has a camo print so that might work. If I get ambitious I might give it a go.

1 Like