"Sometimes small and twisted things..."

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My wife ran across this unknown seedling in an old clay brick an hour or two ago and I had to photograph it. It reminded me inevitably of a song by T. R. Ritchie, who unfortunately died some years back, called " Whitebark". The final stanza goes:

“It is the proof that seeds will grow
Wherever they are sown
And that sometimes small and twisted things
Can split the hardest stone”

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure about whether the depth of field really works or if I should have done a stack-opinions are welcome on this.

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, FE 70-200 f/4 macro + 2.0 TC @ 240 mm, f/25, 1/80, iso 2000, tripod and cable release. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 2472x3264. Some background cleanup and accenting of the seedling. Taken today at 1:53 PM under overcast skies.

What a find!! Go back today and see if it has changed – you have a series here!!!

I think a small stack could make the seedling stand out a bit more. I wonder about softening the darkest tones – just a bit – as they compete with the plant a little bit. You might blot out the dark spot on the right edge. Fun little project here!

Well how did I miss this little cutie? Seedlings are such powerful images because the largest of organisms can start from the smallest of seeds. The breeze definitely wasn’t your friend that day though, pretty soft, but still sweetly enjoyable to see.