Abandoned Graffiti

Here is an image of opportunity. A walk through an unfamiliar park revealed an abandoned structure covered in graffiti. Strewn around it were these rusted paint cans. I was inspired by the juxtaposition of the old, monochromatic cans and the immense wall of recent, colorful art. Yet, presumably, the old spray cans were used to create the art. I setup the cans on an old pallet and intentionally placed that blue text in the upper right hand corner to help balance the composition. My only regret is not using a larger aperture for more bokeh. As an amateur landscape photographer, Iā€™m wondering if this isolated attempt at urban decay works. Any comments are welcome.

Nikon D810 with a Nikon 12-24 f/4 lens. Polarizing filter. Manfrotto tripod with RRS ballhead.

Any pertinent technical details:

1 Like

NIcely done. The blue writing does balance out the cans. I like the converging diagonals of the timbers and the writing.
For me the urban decay thing is a bit harder to see. I am not often in settings like this so I would need to see more of the site. More debris, more old concrete and stuff laying around.

And if you step back to include more do you then lose what you are trying to say??

Dave

This turned out quite well. Bold and brash and the cans add a lot to the message.

Very nice effort. Marc - you do get a neat contrast between the dullness of the cans and the artwork. I do agree, though, with David that a wider view giving more context might provide a stronger statement as an urban image.

Excellent Marc! Street photography and story telling, well done.

Nothing to be critical of here. The placement of the cans works perfectly and I like the almost monochromatic, faded colors and rust of the cans against the vibrant colors of the bg.

Thanks for sharing.

Lon

Thank you everyone. This is a unique image of a unique site. My short trip through this heavily forested, un-manicured park suddenly revealed this concrete structure. It was really at odds with its surroundings- much like the rusted cans with the colorful artwork. It was really striking. Perhaps this was my inspiration on a hot, summer day.