Above and Beneath (+ rework)

Rework (2X3):

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Looking straight down from a small bridge, the motionless bubbles on the bed of this stream contrasted with the water surface. There was also a mat of green weed on which the bubbles had formed, adding a colorful base.

Specific Feedback

I muted the pale sky reflection, but tried to leave in enough to show the ripples of the stream’s surface. Did I get the balance about right?

Technical Details

D500 + 105mm macro 1/50 f13 ISO 400

Denoise, tonalities, vibrance and sharpen in PS. Removed a couple of small leaves.

Very cool, Mike. I was having trouble visualizing what this was-first thought was ice. I think you got the surface about right. It has a lot more small detail than I would have expected.

Mike, the details and the small bubbles really make the image. I also like the ripples throughout the photo. Good idea muting the pale sky reflection. Looks balanced to my eyes.

Very cool, Mike. What a find, with those still bubbles and the light reflections.

This has to be seen large – it is amazing and very unusual. Excellent eye!!

Mike,

Now, you didn’t ask for an initial response, but I gotta tell you my immediate response? A 3,000 piece puzzle. 'nuff said. That would be a most impossible puzzle!

Fabulous find and indeed as Dian writes, this needs to be seen large! There is so much to see - and so many repeating shapes, patterns, and of course bubbles. I could even see cropping this some - if anything to maybe eliminate the slightly darker areas in the LLC and LR edge; similarly the brighter ULC? And I don’t cropping some would take away fromt impact, and you could still get the 3,000 piece puzzle out of it. Then again, this is quite awesome as presented.

Lon

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker. The darker part at the bottom did bother me a bit, and now I find that by chance the 2X3 ratio improves this in the ways you suggest. Please see the rework at the top.

1 Like

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley @Dennis_Plank @Diane_Miller and @Alfredo_Mora for your reactions.

Crop looks Great Mike! Thanks for taking the time to consider. Given the subject matter, the change/crop is quite subtle, but I think improved.

1 Like