Abstract #1

I love finding stuff like this! What is it? Whatever you want it to be…

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D (definitely from the archives), 24-70 at 51, ISO 320, f/9.5, 1/125. Minimal processing in LR, slight cloning in PS. Cropped from the right side. No filters, not even NR.

2 Likes

Nice find and very well presented. Looks like peeling paint and rust or a very old map of a large part of the world.

Nicely seen, Diane. I was just thinking it looked like a map, as @Jim_Gavin said. Love the soft colors and texture. The more I look the more possibilities I see. Great find.

Really beautiful image, Diane! It does look kind of like a close up of an old fashioned globe. But when I first saw it I thought it looked like moss on a slate rock….

This looks good, Diane. I too vote for rust, paint, and algae on an old piece of metal. There is a decent resemblance to North America in the dark area.

Ditto paint and rust. I love the lichen though. It’s such a resilient organism and one even more complex than we originally thought. They (and it really is a they at the molecular level) colonize things first and are the precursors of any environment. Like an advance team, lichens can cling to almost any surface and begin the process of introducing organic material that eventually creates soil which other plants and fungi can then adapt to. It’s amazing.

Anyway…I digress. IMO a touch more texture or clarity would be nice, but the softness is also interesting as an opposing element to the rough, inorganic feel.

This becomes a whole different animal when enlarged. Very difficult to tell what it is from the small view. Really good eye to see this and come up with an image that works.