Abstract #3

I wish I knew what this was. Photographed a number of years ago at a workshop in the remains of the old Gladding McBean workshop, which produced architectural terra cotta, including some quite substantial pieces for well-known buildings of the day. The disused design areas we had access to were a treasure trove of artifacts. I didn’t document this piece with a wider angle but it was mounted on what may have been a plywood board. I’m guessing it was maybe a foot across. I thought it looked like a painting.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 at 153mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/4 sec. The right side had some sort of flange that looked like it would interlock pieces, and I coped the wood from the top and left and rotated it 180 and used it to cover up the bottom and right to make it look more like a wall hanging. Very minor tweaks in LR (updated version) before the PS work. A small amount of Nik Pro Contrast.

2 Likes

It looks metallic, Diane, after that I’m clueless. I’m intrigued by how the darker areas go from looking raised at the top to looking indented towards the bottom.

It was very likely a glazed ceramic piece – probably actually 3D as it looks. There are (or were) a lot of very strange and amazing artifacts in this place. I’m curious what has become of it. I think it’s so decrepit that insurance would forbid anyone being granted access, or the photo workshops would still be happening.