Acorn in the Morning Sun

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here’s a shot I got of this acorn woodpecker with his crest up for no particular reason (no threats nearby). I liked the side lit early morning sun.

Specific Feedback

It was a little head scratching for me to decide how to crop him. Does it work?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/3200th (in anticipation of potential inflight shots), f 9.0, 1260mm, ISO 4500, cropped to 3002 x 3666

Dave, a nice capture of a perky fellow. You ask about the crop. It seems a bit crowded on the right. There is a large area of black on the left side of the bird. I downloaded it into LR and was able to open up the shadows and pull up the black. There is detail there in the feathers. That will make a big difference in the picture. Then you can consider about cropping. Thanks for sharing this beautiful bird.

The morning sun really brought out the top knot, Dave. I really like the patterns on the post. If you use LR, you might want to take the local adjustment brush and bring down the highlights on the back of the bird just a bit to bring out the feather texture more.

Love the post for two reasons. First I love Woodpeckers and this is definitly a cute one with a nice pose. Second, Ím from the east coast and never heard of an Acorn Woodpecker. Of course I researched it and was fascinated. I feel a road trip coming up.