Across the Lamar

Late afternoon light (~8:30 PM) really set the lowland grasses and trees (in this case tree…) in the Lamar Valley aglow. In this view, I was also struck by one arm of Rose creek winding through the view as well as the scattered Bison wallows. I’ve reduced the Yellow and Green saturation to keep the valley glow from reaching the eye popping stage.

5D3, 24-105 @ 50mm, 1/25 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod and polarizer

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the stream running through the image, Mark. I takes my eye right into the image. Nice lighting. I wondered what those holes were, and then I reread your comment, Bison wallows.

Really sweet light here Mark, and your processing of it looks great. This nice little braided creek sort of reminds me of the one along Gothic road in Crested Butte, CO. I’m amazed how effective that lone tree is in filling / organizing negative space in the mid-ground, it adds way more interest than one would think for such a small tree.

The sense of scale may be somewhat misleading, but if those holes are bison wallows, I would be much more worried about bison than bear encounters in Yellowstone :grinning:

Mark,

Absolutely LOVE the light. I think most all of us have just watched in awe with this kind of late (or early) light. As you mention, the landscape just glows.

I think this is beautiful as presented. I do see though, TWO alternate panos - bot top and bottom crops. The meandering stream through the open meadow and that solitary tree are a lovely scene all by themselves, as is the upper half with the elevated meadow and light all the way through. For the upper crop, I would simply exclude the stream and keep the lone tree as it’s a key element.

Anyway, I mention the crops as alternates, not really a suggestion to improve anything. This image is plenty beautiful as presented.

Lon