Adult Brown Pelican

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

I had the great fortune to stumble upon a huge rookery of Brown Pelicans at Point Lobos, CA a couple of days ago. The trail offered a great vantage point that was worth enduring the downwind smell of it for the shots. I took it with a D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, 1.4 TC, 1/2000th, f 8.0, 410mm, ISO 280, hand held, AI Clear, cropped to 4017 x 3025

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Dave, nice details and exposure on the bird. I like the colors as well - very engaging subject. I like the way we see the feet splayed out. Nits to me are the white blob in the lower right corner and I wish the bird was not angled away from us. Still, a fine image.

Excellent detail, Dave. I like the clear view of the head, though I do wish it had been flying toward you.

An excellent in-flight capture of this beautiful Pelican, Dave! The exposure is excellent with good detail in the white feathers plus colors and detail are very nice. I personally happen to like photos of birds that are going away (so long as you can see the eyes) because you get to see a lot more colors and details of the wing and tail feathers that you don’t get to see if they are flying toward you. This shot is excellent in that respect. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Agreed, Gary. I thought the boiling up trailing edge feathers, and landing gear down were cool from this angle.