Aerial Salmon fishing

A juvenile Bald Eagle nabbing a spawning silver salmon in a small pond. While the eagle and the salmon turned out great, the busy background does make it difficult to make out the eagle clearly. That’s probably exactly why young eagles have mottled colors.

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 600 mm, ISO-400, f/6.3, 1/3200, Hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I like it anyway, Gary. Such great detail in this very emotive image, the background to me isn’t an issue. I just can’t help but feel for the fish, but at the same time thinking of this young eagle getting his own meal. Great shot.

Nice work on this one, Gary. That’s a pretty big salmon for an eagle to drag around like that. The busy background does keep the eagle from popping well, which is always a problem with the juveniles anyhow. I don’t know what kind of processing you do, but it wouldn’t bee too difficult to isolate the vegetated part of the background and add a bit of blur to it and maybe desaturate it a trifle to make the bird pop more.

Gary, a great action shot. Yes, it does show how the young eagle’s color are protective. You might also do some dodging of the eagle’s head and burning of the bright grass along the shore to get some more separation between bird and background.