Teenage Salmon Slayer

A juvenile Bald Eagle standing over a Pink Salmon that it had captured and partially eaten. Taken at Valdez Alaska on a cloudy & slightly drizzly day.

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 600 mm, ISO-500, f/6.3, 1/2000, hand held, no crop.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@garyminish

Wow, Gary, I don’t think it can get any better than this. Wonderful details in both the eagle and the remains of the fish, as well as the shoreline. Great capture. :+1: :+1:

Wow. What a scene! Bird is sharp as a tack, and I love seeing the prey. Only two suggestions are that taking a step to your left would’ve allowed for a bit of space between the muck in the water and the bird’s breast/beak, and getting lower would resulted in less DoF for the foreground and background, putting more emphasis on the bird, although getting lower here looks like it would’ve been quite a feat!

Thanks, Lyle. Unfortunately, a step to the left would have put me on a steep slope of large slimy boulders. The good news is that in just a couple seconds I would have been able to get that low angle shot! The bad news is that it’s very likely both my body and the camera would have been badly broken and all the fast action plus the screams of pain & agony would have scared the eagle off its prey! :scream:

1 Like

Ha. Priorities can be tough to balance!