African Fish Eagle

Another one with wings spread. :wink: Fisheagles don’t do this that often.

Panasonic GX8, DG Vario-Elmar 100-400 @ 300 mm (600 mm equ.) 1/640th,f8.0,ISO 400 Handheld from a small boat

Chobe river, Botswana

Beautiful shot of the spread wings. I’d be glad to get a shot like this. Good detail in the feathers, but it appears as if the sharp focus is on the wings rather than the head.

Well composed with wonderful wing position and a head turn on an interesting perch. I agree with Skip with respect to the focus issue. The whites are also blown out considerably resulting in lack of detail. And if you look carefully, there is a fairly noticeable sharpening halo around the entire bird and perch. This is something that happens with blue skies frequently and is difficult to avoid. There are tricks to removing it effectively.

Another very nice post, Jaapv. I do think David’s analysis is spot on in terms of the issues. The only think I’d add is that if you’re saving your images in a Raw format in the camera, you might be able to bring some detail back to the whites in processing.

Nice pose here - we saw several fish eagles drying their wings like this. Maybe they learned from the darters!
The image seems fairly flat (probably the harsh light) and could use more contrast and less brightness. You might be able to recover some of the blown highlights with Viveeza.
Still a nice catch -
Sandy R-B