"After (the) Fall"

On a really cold winter evening, as I was passing this scene, I noticed this grouping of trees backlit by the setting sun, with just enough light revealing the textures in the field, and the forest behind. Southern Utah.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

To me this image is all about the light. I have played with both the highlights and shadows, and am pretty happy with this version. Thoughts?

Technical Details

1/60sec, f/10, 66mm, ISO 200

1 Like

What a great image. I like that the trees sparkle with frost but that there is still detail to explore in the shadows (and rolling foreground). Very nice!

That is a really nice image Fritz! It draws you in with the kick of the frost in the trees but what i really like about it is the subtle details of the field and the trees in the background. They really add to it and give you something more than just the initial wow of the trees, which are still spectacular.

I like how deciduous trees are lit with just enough light in the FG and BG to show the detail of the field and conifer trees.

Oh wow…WOW! The dark processing makes the trees pop. This is exceptional.

Hi Fritz,

Very nice! :slight_smile:

The lighting cast across that well cultivated and rolling field really helps to support the trees.
And that area of muted highlights on the BG trees adds strength to the effect on the trees as well.
The lines in the field are appealing and supportive because they help to lead you into the image :slight_smile:

Very nice winter light show :slight_smile:

Beautiful light and scene. I would be inclined to darken the background tree highlights to make those trees barely visible and thereby not compete with the beautiful foreground light and lit trees. Excellent image.

The light and processing here look great, Fritz. I like that there’s very strong depth throughout even as both the foreground and background are challenging to view.

@Mark_Seaver , @Harley_Goldman, @ Merv, @Bret_Edge, @David_Starr, @Cameron_Wilcox, @CharlesV, thank you all very much. This is an image that went through quite a few versions; this is the one that in the end appealed to me. Again, thank you for taking the time to comment. I always see something new.

Almost missed this one with the small thumbnail
This is like Clyde Butcher’s work the larger the more detail shows up and it gets better.
Do a 30x40 print
Super image
If you ever want to trade prints and you find one of mine you like let me know
In my hay day the photo group friends of photography had a swap system I have a few great images from that.
Maybe an idea for NPN?

1 Like

Thank you Steve. I have printed this one, and it does not disappoint. :slight_smile:
Glad you like the image. Will keep your suggestion in mind.