After the ice storm

We had an ice storm here in Olympia and other parts of southwestern Washington last night and this morning. Although we only got about an inch of ice, it was treacherous. This is a very rare occurrence for this part of the world. In the 25 years I have lived in Western Washington, I have only experienced one other ice storm.

One of the things that these hummingbirds do which is extremely interesting, is to hang upside down from a perch and stay perfectly still. This is called torpor. They do this to conserve energy. This little guy was hanging from our feeder this morning with the temperature below 30°F. I have seen a bat do this also. Unfortunately not enough light for me to catch that image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

ISO 12,800, 100-400 at 400 mm, F8, 100th second, handheld. Yes it was very dark. This is about 45% of the full frame. Minimal processing.

3 Likes

Excellent detail and nice pose. The ice shows up well on the perch.

The ice on the perch reveals the harsh weather these small birds endure. The head of this hummingbird is very sharp and I like the variety of colors present. Well done…Jim

Hi David, nice image sharpness and quality especially for that high of an ISO. Well done. I like the slanting pose also. Ice on the branch helps tell the story.