After the Shower-A Sweet Breath of Spring

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I 'm using an Olympus 60mm macro lens to isolate compositions in my flower bed.

Technical Details

60mm macro f/11 1/60 sec raw capture

2 Likes

James, this image is lovely! Your black-and-white processing is well done. Love the water droplets. And the composition works. I was looking at the leaves at the top, wondering if they should be removed, but honestly, I think they’re fine. The mass of leaves that are the subject would be too centered then. The top leaves are natural and work for what I call “context.”

Yes, gorgeous, with wonderful tonalities! I think the leaves at the top could be darkened quite a bit, which works with being OOF. Not sure if it would give good separation from the leaf tip, though. I could want just a bit more canvas on the left and bottom, to give those two leaf tips more breathing room.

I agree with @Diane_Miller about darkening the upper leaves - and if you were to add more space at the bottom, it might be an idea to also darken (or even remove) the leaf cut off by the edge. But I’m really enjoying looking at this, and wonder which camera you used, as I’m getting interested in the OM1 mirrorless.

Not sure I’d darken those upper and lower leaves a lot, but enough to provide separation from the main bunch.

James,

Wonderful image. I love the tones produced - great job on the b&w conversion. Also the details are excellent.

I would agree with the other about darkening the upper leaves; as Susanna mentions, just enough to help create some separation. but also keeping the eye on the main details and not pulled to the top of the frame. Very minor though.

The other nit is wishing for just a tad more breathing room on the bottom.

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful.

Lon