Raindrops on Leaves

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Walking the woodlands after a rain I was drawn to the leaf patterns with water droplets. I opted for monochrome to simplify the image and draw attention to the form and textures, not color.

Technical Details

Taken with a Panasonic Lumix S5 camera with 24-105mm S lens @105mm, f11, 1/125, iso 4000, handheld.

3 Likes

Wonderful composition and tonalities! B/W was an excellent idea!

I could wish the leaf tips were complete but that’s not really a big negative considering how interesting the image is.

Thank you for your comments.

Hi Bill,
that looks beautiful. The leaves are very well composed. Abd I like your b&w edit.
Well done!

Thank you so much.

I really like this, Bill! :slight_smile:

I like the overall composition and the waterdrops take it to a higher level, and I especially like the depth created by the subtle light down in the layers of leaves.

Very nice textures and shapes!

I like the B&W treatment very much but I can’t help but feel that the color version would be effective as well, of course the color version wouldn’t highlight the shapes quite as well as B&W but color can be an effective element of it’s own IMHO.
As I stated, I like the B&W but I never dismiss color because color conveys cheerful moods (at least for me). :slight_smile:

Very nicely done! :slight_smile:

Hi Bill, this works very well and the b&w treatment does just what you wanted. The form and textures show up quite well. A very appealing image IMO.

Thank you for the comment

I looked at both color and mono, as I do with most of my images. For me the monochrome was the clear choice on this one. I never dismiss color. Far from it. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Bill, I am coming in late to the party. I was out of town for a few days. I started out in B&W and so I appreciate it, although I shoot in color and many times don’t think to check it in B&W to see how the image would look. I need to do that more often. The “colors” was perfect for a B&W. Green with water drops on them converted to B&W works well. I like your composition too. For me this works. I can’t think of anything to improve the image.

Such kind words. Thank you :pray:

1 Like