After the Storm

I visited White Sands NP earlier this year and we arrived as a storm was passing through. The light in its wake was spectacular! It was even more rewarding as it was our only day we were able to visit due to high winds the previous two days. Best of all, no footprints!

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m not quite sure about the horizon going through the middle. I experimented with a few different crops and like the balance with this one.

Technical Details

1/250s @ f/11, ISO200, 200mm, handheld, processed in Lightroom.

3 Likes

Tom!

Thanks for participating in this weeks guest critique! Much appreciated!

I like what you have done here with the use of the multiple layers within the composition. Almost as if there were repeating patterns with each dune. You mentioned that you were quite sure about the horizon going through the middle of the frame…it doesn’t bother me. If it’s a concern for you, my suggestion would to maybe warp the middle section of the dunes up or down. If you decide to do this, keep in mind, it will alter the shape of the dunes.

The one thing that I would try and experiment with is darkening some of the shaded areas of the dunes. On the attachment you’ll see I have the areas marked in red that you could darken down. This will give the scene a little more depth with contrasting the lighter dunes. I could also see a slight increase in mid tone contrast and luminosity. Hope this helps!

DT

Thanks David! Very helpful feedback. I messed around a bit with Luminosity Masks and added a slight vignette. I’ve attached a modified version.

2 Likes

OOOOOOOO :astonished:

I like that Tom!!! YES!