Against the elements of nature!

What technical feedback would you like if any? All feedback is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All feedback is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D300, F11, iso 200, 1/250,

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Great shot Ben, the fog and sunset colors are creating a truly magical atmosphere. I think I would personalty brighten up the shadows a bit to try and get some separation between the bikers and the road and I’m a little torn by having a main focal point such as the sun so close to the edge of the frame. I’m curious what other people think about that.

I really like this shot. What a mood! I’m okay with the mystery of the details of the bikers and the road and part of me wonders, like Blake, if the sun would be better a little less close to the left edge but, as I look at the line of trees, I bet there’s not another tree just to the left for a while so, I would keep; the sun close to the edge like this rather than have a bare tree space on the left. I’m thinking you did the right thing with that left crop. Just me.

The mood evoked by the mist and the shadowy figures. lit by that fading sun, is truly melancholy ( in the best possible sense !! ). I take the point about the position of the sun made by others, but I think there is a case for saying it makes there a somewhat tentative appearance - almost as an intruder into the darkness. Whatever, it is a very fine image, Ben.

This image is packed with emotion. A couple of suggestions. The yellow has a green cast to it. I would modify it in HSL to change that tint. In addition I would clone out some of the small branches descending from the top.

This is so beautiful, Ben. If there is one word to describe this, it would be cinematic. I agree about the green tint on the yellow on the UL corner. I am thinking of a more panoramic crop from the top.

Thank you Blake for this helpful comment.

Thank you so much, Dave.

Thank you, Ian for your fine comment.

Thank you, Igor for your tip about the green cast. A good help also for future images to give such colorcasts more attention.

What a wonderful comment you gave me, Adhika.I removed the green tint and it look’t a lot better now. I didn’t see it but now I have learned from you all to pay attention to things like this color cast.

What a beautiful image Ben, with all the fog it has a very painterly look to it. This image has a lot of impact, the fog and light are just wonderful. I think the composition is very strong, and I especially like how you handled the placement of the sun in this image. I do agree with @Adhika_Lie that a slight crop from the top would place even more emphasis on the riders. I would also suggest dodging the fog area right around the riders, to make them pop out even more.

This is a wonderful image, nicely done !!!

I love the feeling and atmosphere of the overall image. The sun isn’t too close to the edge for me. There seems to be a heavy vignette applied which might be responsible for the strong casts mentioned, green top left and magenta to the right edge.

Great comment, Ed. I made this image a few years ago and I am rather proud of it. So I was wondering if it should be liked here on NPN where I learn so much. Thank you.

Thank you , Kah Kit Yoong for your inspiring reaction. On NPN it’s learning all the time for me !