Alaska Marmot

We spotted this marmot while hiking in Denali NP fairly high up on the mountain and it ran down and went right by us. Don’t know if people have been feeding it or not but it definitely wasn’t afraid of us. Was really fun to see one though, we also saw bears, golden eagles and caribou on this morning.

Specific Feedback Requested

anything

Technical Details

ISO 1600, F/6.3, 1/2000 sec @ 400mm

2 Likes

What a cute species! I haven’t seen such coloration on a marmot before but it is beautiful. I would crop a just a tad on the left hand size as the foreground bush and its leaves draw a bit too much attention to the corner in my opinion. Also, perhaps a bit more detail in the fur on above his nose would be nice.

A really nice capture here Glenn that shows lots of detail in this cute animal. I like your framing and he has space in the direction he’s moving. I think I’ve seen one here in New England but he was darker. Good exposure too so I have no suggestions for improvement.

Great specimen, beautifully captured !
I agree with @DvirBarkay about burning the fur above nose.
The vertical twigs, pointing to face also need to be treated.

Thank you @DvirBarkay, @Jim_Lockhart and @JRajput for your suggestions! This helps a lot! I didn’t notice the twigs and it should be an easy fix. Thank you

1 Like

Glenn, I’m glad you shot wide enough to frame it in its environment. The colors in the surrounding vegetation are wonderful, and the mostly-monochromatic subject really pops nicely against it.