Yellow-bellied Marmot

While birding in the Mount Evans area (Colorado), I came across this non-feathered species. A first-timer for me. For more please check https://www.hansoverduin.nl/mountain-marmots/.
Thanks for viewing and have a nice weekend, Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D850 with 500mm f4 | 1/2500s | ff | ISO800 | overexposed 2/3EV | handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is a great image of a usually elusive critter. I had them on my property when I lived in the Colorado mountains, and I never really did manage to get a decent shot of them. Do you know that this guy is known as a “Whistle Pig?”

These guys are fun to photograph. I have no complaints on this one. :slight_smile: Nice comp and pose. No distractions. Congrats on coming away with a great image on your first siting!

A very nice capture, Hans. I am not familiar with this critter, but he looks real cute. You gotta love those 2 front teeth showing, as if he is smiling for the camera. The fog in the background really makes him stand out nicely.

Great pose and wonderful frame, love the pose and the placement in the frame!
Would be great as a cover shot!

Hans, great work here. I do miss my time in Mt Evans. Congrats on the EP!

Thanks for your nice words and picking my shot as the EP ! Proud :slight_smile: !

Hello, Charles, thanks for your reply and I wasn’t aware of their nickname :wink:

Great image of a marmot. Mt. Evans is definitely full of them. Excellent pose, lighting and composition. Great too see the entire body as they mostly will be hiding in the rocks up there. Excellent texture of the road bed and the soft background. Definitely isolates the subject.