Yawning Marmot

Found this guy warming him self on a large boulder while exploring the shores of Consolation lakes near Lake Louise, Alberta. I was exploring and looking for landscape photos. I typically carry my 100-400 lens in the mountains and was able to spend sometime observing and photographing this marmot until he wandered off. He is in the middle of a big yawn. I have other photos of him lying flat on the rock. I was traversing a boulder field and changing positions was a bit difficult and would have probably disturbed the marmot. I was able to put my backpack down and change to my 100-400.

Specific Feedback Requested

Exposure and composition feedback would be appreciated

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This image was shot at 300mm on a full frame camera and somewhat cropped. F5.6, 1/640 sec, iso 1600 main processing in LR with Topaz AI noise reduction.

@bryannelsonca
1 Like

That is awesome, Bryan. Love the pose and the yawn.

1 Like

Great subject, beautifully captured. I love the twin action, yawning and stretching.
If this was mine, I would burn the boulder to make it darker.

1 Like

The pose is fantastic, and I also appreciate the even spacing of the trees behind the marmot, which makes for a nice striped pattern.

I would crop slightly from the bottom, as I find the light patch of rock in the lower right distracting, and I think this would improve the balance of subject vs. background.

1 Like

Hi Bryan, great capture and nice details. The pose and detalis add value. I agree that maybe burning (dark) the rock and the highlights in the background may help for the subject.

I love this shot, Bryan! A great behavioral capture with excellent detail and colors. The light patches of foreground rock are somewhat distracting in the small version but when I bring up the large version its no longer a problem because there is so much wonderful detail to look at on the Marmot that I don’t even notice the rocks!

1 Like

Here is an updated version with some cropping and some burning of the foreground boulder

1 Like

Bryan, the new crop works really well. Fewer distracting elements, and to me the balance of the composition seems to have improved.