Coyote Yawn

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here’s a moment I got of a relaxing coyote yawning. It looks deceptively friendly (although, I don’t it’d let you scratch its head).

Specific Feedback

Cropping? Anything?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, handheld, 720mm, ISO 2200, cropped to 3869 x 2831

1 Like

Hi Dave, I love the yawn you captured here and the way the coyote sticks out from the grass. I think you handled the lighting well with details still present in the shadows facing us. I like the overall composition showing us how well hidden this guy probably usually is in all that grass.

Oh how great. I love the slightly startled feeling despite the yawn. As if something caught its attention 1/2 way through. Funny. So much texture, too. You can tell this creature will basically disappear once it ducks down again. On my monitor it looks a tad cyan and maybe could use some warming of the overall wb too. Just a thought. These guys are never on show for me despite living where there are literally thousands of them. Oh well, at least I can enjoy your success.

K- I think I will see what your suggested adjustments look like. Thanks. Oh, and I recall a bird was flying around near its head. This was an extremely mellow coyote. It allowed me to blast away for quite a while. It was in a wildlife refuge. Maybe it knew…

Beautiful moment & I just love that sparkling eye !
I may not sharpen the grasses.

Dave, the coyote stands out well from its surroundings with the big yawn and the glowing eye adding to the attraction.