All Spaced Out

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I did not notice this scene when hiking down to the Basin; in Franconia SP, NH; but on the way back up it caught my eye as I thought there was some potential there. I guess the light in the BG trees is what originally caught my eye. I liked the five FG trees and kept moving and refining my composition until I had some nice separation with the trees in the image. This is what I came up with.

Specific Feedback

Just wondering if there is enough there to keep the viewer engaged. As always I appreciate anyone taking a moment to leave their thoughts.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 41mm, f 11 @ 1.6 sec, ISO 800, Kase Magnetic CPL, cable release & tripod, three image stack for DOF.

1 Like

Ed, there’s definitely enough there to keep me engaged! The tree trunks are spaced beautifully; they keep me wandering through the scene. The mosses and other greenery balance very nicely, My one thought, after viewing the image again, is that the LRC feels a little empty. There’s not much you can do about that, and it’s a minor concern. If the base of the image had been placed up a little, it would probably have taken care of that issue (to about the bottom of the root of the middle tree, so it would have cut off some of the moss extending down…hope this make sense).

I think this image preserves the complexity of the forest and yet there is order. You’ve done that well. And the amount of darkness in the trunks is about right. The cool WB makes it seem like a wet forest to me.

Ed, I agree with comments by @Susanna_Euston and @Igor_Doncov. there is a lot I like about this image. The color, staging of the trees, depth. The trees are nicely spaced both side to side and front to back. The fallen tree seems like it sets a backdrop, that has depth, for the presentation of the trees as if on stage. The tree on the right is being uprooted, giving a sense of age and time to the stand of trees. Maybe that’s what created the empty space on the LRC, with some upturned debris there.
Wonderful image.