Allen's Hummingbird

This is rather a small in the frame Allen’s Hummingbird. It was raining pretty hard the entire night and it was only starting to taper off on Saturday morning but I was itching to go out. I brought my 300 f/4 + 1.4x with me instead of the 500 as I often do when I don’t have any specific target in mind. I kinda like the perch, especially the echoing of the hummer’s gorget on the fruit (anyone knows what it is?).

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D500 and Nikkor 300 f/4PF lens and TC 1.4x III, f/6.3, 1/2000, ISO 4000
Canvas extended on the left hand side from another frame from the burst.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.!

I like the overall composition. Nice background. Good detail and pose of the bird.

1 Like

Hi Adhika, I think this small in the frame composition works well with the subject nicely placed in the image. Pleasing background and interesting perch. If it were mine, I’d take out the tiny white spots between the bird and left branch. Nice frame.

1 Like

I like it, Adhika. The composition works nicely. The fruits look like rose hips to me.

1 Like

Thanks @Allen_Brooks, @Allen_Sparks, and @Dennis_Plank.

The tiny white spots are rain and this is probably where my attachment to the shooting condition gets the better of me. I agree, that should’ve been cloned out.