A Young Allens Hummingbird

I saw a lot of hummer action in a Bottle-brush Tree but had focus issues with most of the action shots or just too busy a background. This quiet shot I liked because of the softness and the clean background. The second shot was probably the best action shot of the bunch. I liked the colors on the scaly back feathers

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments critique are is welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D7100 with Nikkor 200-500mm
The first shot was @500mm, f5.6, 1/2500, ISO 3200 with tripod.
The second shot @ 500mm, f5.6, 1/250 ISO 2500 with tripod.
I wish I had reversed the settings for these shots, but truth be told I was excited I finally got decent focus for a second or two and didn’t have time to adjust the settings.

2 Likes

It’s always great to get a hummer in the viewfinder and when they perch with a nice background it presents a nice opportunity.

I’m going to guess that the first image was underexposed out of camera based on the settings. The issue I see is the hummer needs more light and the background needs less light. I did a little work in PS to try to see what might be there in the image. Of course working the RAW would be better.

Here’s the result.

1 Like

Cute little guy! The perch really shows up his tiny feet. @Keith_Bauer’s added light brings up the color and detail very nicely. Shadows and Highlights sliders in the raw converter should make a very nice correction. I might crop a little off the left to decenter the bird.

Nice look at a rare hummingbird. I like the changes Keith made to an already nice photo. I like the flower and the hummer’s colors in the second one. I could see a crop from the left to remove the branch and decenter the hummer a bit.

@Diane_Miller @Keith_Bauer @Allen_Brooks I appreciate your comments and input and Keith the little extra time you took in taking a good crack at it. I reworked it along the lines of lightening the hummer and darkening the background and also de-centered the subject and think it is a much more striking and better image. Thanks and very glad to have your eyes on it everyone.

Good job on this. Nice color. The rework does improve this. Agree with Diane about the crop.