Allen's Hummingbird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was lurking by the bird feeders, trying to hide behind my camera hoping for another chance at the Oriole, and the hummingbird feeder was getting a lot of traffic. We have 99.9% Anna’s but this Allen’s female caught my eye, and in a few minutes she gave me a quick shot.

Specific Feedback

All comments always welcome! I’d love to have a little detail in the BG but it’s 200 ft away. The perch likewise had little interest so I went for a tight crop to show off the bird.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 2.46.32 PM

Basic tonal work in LR. Into PS for a little more punch and toned down the ends of the perch. Big crop to 25% of the original pixels. The feeder is a little too far away and rarely in good light so I’m not really set up for hummers. Cloudy light. Sturdy tripod.

1 Like

A lovely image of this bird, Diane. The detail in the plumage is superb so you were obviously close enough.

Excellent detail and I think the background works well with the hummer. Perch isn’t bad either.

Hi Diane, I agree with Allen - nice background and perch that work to show off this hummer quite well. Fine pose and details on the bird. Well done.

Great shot, Diane - no nits from my side ! Like it as presented ! Cheers, Hans

My goodness…wonderful details and the colours are amazing!

Such a nice image of this little girl, Diane. I’m not familiar with the Allen Hummingbird. We just have Anna Hummingbirds here. Just saw our first for the season at the feeder this morning!

That smooth BG just makes her stand out. Wonderful details in the hummer, and a nice perch she is sitting on. I can’t think of a think offer except hit the print button. This should be on a wall!

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Allen_Sparks, @Allen_Brooks, @Robena.Sirett, @Shirley_Freeman and @Hans_Overduin! I was so happy to finally get a good portrait of this species. I’m hoping there will be more of them this year. And getting a male to add to the collection would be nice. They are more colorful – similar to a Rufous Hummingbird. (We have them for a brief migration season but the Allen’s are supposedly year-round, at least in nearby coastal areas.)

1 Like

Tremendous detail - especially considering the large crop. While the perch isn’t awesome, it isn’t distracting, either. Really nice color and tone in this bird. Well done.

Gorgeous detail in this beautiful bird. Nice shot!
Grt, Ingrid.