Almost an Easter Cactus

What technical feedback would you like if any? These cacti have interesting flowers that hang down so I decided to gor for a basic composition.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Composition OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200mm f4 (3.0sec at f13, Iso 125 Fill flash at -2.0ev). Levels, Topaz Detail with an opacity at 21%, Hue Saturation - Magentas. I was able to snag a Nikon 200mm f4 micro and so this weekend was spent testing it out. I also used a Rogue Flash Bender to soften the lighting . The background is a fern and green towel. I think that I will have a lot of fun with this lens. It is sharper than my Sigma f3.5 180mm.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Excellent composition and processing, Jim. I’ve never been able to get an angle on mine that isolates a bloom from the rest of the plant, but this is nice. I do think I’d remove the bright spots on the right hand side.

Jim: As an unabashed fan of 200mm macros I think you will learn to love this lens. I’ve had my trusty Minolta 200/f4 for almost 20 years and have done many thousands of shots with it. The relatively narrow angle of view makes for easier BG control IMO and gets you a comfortable working distance. I like this image but agree with Dennis regarding the bright areas on the right edge. Hope you like the new gear.>=))>

Beautiful photo of a beautiful flower Jim. Do not miss out that 200mm lens. I thing that is the best glass of Nikon and I will never change it.

Thank you. I was thinking about getting rid of those light spots and I’ll repost a version with that area cleaned up.

Nice shot, Jim. My initial impression was to get rid of the bright spots, so I see you’ve addressed that in your repost. :vulcan_salute:

I agree with the others. I’m glad you took out the bright spot. I would add this is seen better, the bigger the image.