Alone

Alone - This was taken about an hour before sunset on a windy afternoon with not many people at the dunes. I thought having this lone person standing on the peak of a dune, contemplating, added to the feeling of serenity.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
EOS R5, 500mm, 1/200sec, f/16, +1/3 EV, ISO 400

@keithflood

5 Likes

Wow, great photo. That tiny figure does add quite a bit of story to the scene. They are so far away! It gives me a picture of them trudging for hours through the deep sand to get to that spot. The light is gorgeous and the shapes are spectacular.

That being said, this doesn’t speak of serenity to me. Because of the many angles (even though they are softened), it has a lot of energy and dynamism. I associate serenity with calmness or stillness. But maybe that’s just me. At any rate, this is a keeper for sure!

I find the colors a little unexpected and very serene. The figure does add, for me – it looks like one of you had a long hike! Excellent detail in lights and darks. I wonder about a version with about half that much sky – not a lot happening up there.

Keith, the zig-zag eye movement through all the dunes is amazing. The amount of detail in the dunes is also great. That lone figure is also striking. The “shape” contrast between the dunes and the subtle lines of clouds is a fine change-of-pace. Clearly that person came up the other side, since there are no tracks showing in the dunes.

Thank you @Bonnie_Lampley I can see this does not fit literally, I guess I am trying to project what I felt in the moment taking the image. It was just so still and warm with no sounds whatsoever. However, I can see the visual with all the lines being chaotic :thinking:

Thanks, @Diane_Miller, I think I had this issue with the background two years ago when I last visited and posted. The background is not the sky but the Panamint Range and alluvial fan, no sky in the image. I did tweak the white balance just a bit cool. The dunes I tweaked the blacks and whites to add some contrast. The original was pretty flat but then again, for “serenity” maybe I should have left well enough alone? :face_with_peeking_eye:

Thank you @Mark_Seaver, it was fortunate to have wind off and on during this trip to help erase footprints in the dunes and add to the diffused atmosphere. The person is quite a ways away and accessed the dunes from the main parking area near the highest dunes which is very popular.

This is beautiful Keith. I agree with Bonnie that serenity doesn’t really come to mind when viewing this but who cares. This is just an exceptional image. The person standing on top of the distant dune really makes this a lot more interesting. My legs ache just thinking about the two steps forward and one step back hike to that dune. The shadows and highlights provide so much contrast to this scene. This compares favorably to some of @Harley_Goldman recent dune images which were spectacular in every regard which is really saying something as those were some of the best dune images I’ve seen in a while. Well done!

A gorgeous image with unexpected colours. Finding dunes without footprints all over them is a difficult task. You’ve been blessed by a windy afternoon!

I find the image very serene and you’ve done a mighty job to achieve that.

1 Like

Thank you @glennie for your feedback!