American Bittern & Repost

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I haven’t gotten out for birds lately, so I found this one that I hadn’t processed from the refuge our camera club was supposed to go to today (cancelled due to snow and ice and a very steep access road and bridge).

Specific Feedback

I didn’t try removing the grasses over the bird because I thought they helped tell the story. Does it still work?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE200-600 @ 448 mm, hand held on car window, f/6.3, 1/1000, iso 2000. Processed in LR & PS CC. Removed some bright grasses in the upper right that pulled the eye too much. Cropped to 4028x2702. Taken January 28, 2023.

2 Likes

Hi Dennis, I think this image works nicely showing the bittern on the hunt and peering beneath the grass. The eye is not intersected by the grass. I can also see plenty of the plumage of the bird. Well done image with fine sharpness.

This one is fine as presented. Lighting is very good and bitterns are always concealed so it shows what bitterns do best–hide! The foot really caught my eye and along with the detail presented in the head, it provides some nice looks for the viewer…Jim

Great catch, Dennis. I think the grasses in front of the head work nicely to show the bird is hunting and peeking around the foliage. Nice image.

Lovely image with the environment fitting the subject so well. I think you could remove most of the one piece of grass that parallels the edge of the beak. That one is attention-getting and it looks easy to remove. The others are fine. Very nice catch!

@Diane_Miller Did I get the grass stem you meant?

No – I wasn’t clear – the small one just left of the eye and parallel to the top of the beak where it ends and the forehead starts. Must be a better term to describe it.