American Bittern

Not the most unexpected bird to run across at a wetland refuge, but I certainly wasn’t anticipating it. When I first spotted it, I was thinking Great Blue Heron, but I was very glad to find out I was wrong.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I burned down the foreground a trifle because it seemed to pull the eye too much. Too little? Too much?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, beanbag on car window, f/8, 1/800, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from right and bottom to 5392x3768. Selective sharpening and a tiny boost in exposure on the bird. Taken Thursday at 10:30 am under heavily overcast skies (the fog had just lifted a bit in this area of the refuge).

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

That is a dandy catch Dennis. It is not often you get such a nice open pose. FG looks good to me. I like composition with all the habitat.

This really stands out well in my opinion. Yes it is in a busy environment but that is where they live. All my encounters with American bitterns have been in similar habitat. I’m sorry I missed this. Oh well!

Stunning shot ! A species I assume as hidden normally as the one we have here. Having it like this in an excellent matching environment is all you could wish for ! Love it way round ! Congrats, Hans

It pops pretty well from the habitat, wish it was turned toward you a tad more…

Hi @Dan_Kearl . I did too, but the head turn is kind of an optical illusion due to the lighting and plumage. Blown up, the head is actually turned toward me about 20-30 degrees. It’s just one of those weird things. I do have other angles and I might post one.

Beautiful shot of the bittern and fortunate to see it in the open like this. A very nice environmental shot. Foreground looks fine to me.